Planning & Zoning

Planning & Zoning FAQs

FAQ Quick Links

What can I put in my park strip?
The Riverton City Council, recognizing the need for more water-conscious landscaping in the city, recently updated city ordinances regarding park strip landscaping. The park strip is the area between the sidewalk and the curb, and while that area is part of the public right-of-way, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to landscape and maintain that area. The updated ordinance allows for the use of rock cobble in the park strip, but also allows for hard surface materials such as concrete. The updated text reads as follows:

Park Strip Landscaping. The area of the street right-of-way between the curb line, or the proposed curb lines as established by the city street standard, and the property line (park strip) shall be kept free of weeds and maintained by the abutting property owner and be landscaped with sod, shrubs, trees, ground cover, bark mulch, and decorative rock cobble. Materials which minimize water use are encouraged. Hard surfacing may be installed with an approved encroachment permit issued by the public works department. Hard surfacing, and all other materials, must comply with any and all applicable Riverton City ordinances, standards, and specifications, and may not include asphalt. Hard surfacing in a park strip may be limited or prohibited in certain areas to protect existing utilities and utility easements.

Please feel free to contact the Planning Department if you have any questions about the ordinance, or about available options for improving your park strip. The Planning Department can be reached at (801) 208-3138, via email at, or during our office hours at City Hall.

Can I have a home-based business?
Riverton City’s ordinances allow for home-based businesses as an accessory or secondary use in residential areas. The ordinance provides specific requirements to safe guard the residential character of neighborhoods. You can read the ordinance in Riverton City Code 18.190 “Home Occupations”. Home occupations must obtain a Riverton City Business license. 

There are two types of home based business, Simple and Conditional Use. Simple Home Occupations are more common. A Simple Home Occupation shows no evidence from the outside that a business is being conducted at the property. There are eight (8) specific criteria a home occupation must meet to qualify as a Simple Home Occupation.   When you apply for a business license you must sign a document stating your business will meet and follow all eight (8) criteria.

a) Applicant must be a bona fide resident of the home.

(b) The Business shall be entirely conducted within the home.

(c) The home occupation shall not involve any retail sales at the home.

(d) The home occupation will not require any signage, including signage on vehicles parked at the home.

(e) The home occupation does not involve customers or employees visiting the home.

(f) The home occupation does not require storage of inventory at the home.

(g) There will be no evidence from the exterior of the home that a business is being conducted.

(h) No specialty vehicles associated with this business such as dump trucks, tractors, skid steers, tractor trailers, boom trucks, tank trucks, backhoes, pump trucks or other similar vehicles will be parked or stored at the home.

If your business does not qualify as a Simple Home Occupation, it may qualify for a Conditional Use Home Occupation. Conditional Use Home Occupations allow for uses that may be seen by the neighbors such as an employee, customers, or students coming to the home. A Conditional Use Home Occupation requires a separate application, and may require a hearing before the City’s Planning Commission. Please contact the Riverton City Planning Department if you have questions specific to your business please contact Shirleen Boska, Planning Permit Tech, at (801) 208-3138 or

You can find more information about Business Licensing by contacting the Business Licensing Coordinator at 801-208-3139 or visiting the Riverton City Business Licensing webpage.

What is required to build an accessory building on my property? 
Sheds below 120 square feet in size do not require a building permit, and may be placed within 1 foot of property line. Buildings over 120 square feet require a building permit. They are subject to increased setbacks and the exterior of the building must use materials that are present on the home. Generally, accessory buildings are limited to 20-ft in height, but in some cases they can be higher. Accessory buildings may not include a kitchen or living space, and accessory apartments are not allowed. See the Accessory Building ordinance for more information you may also visit the Riverton City Building Department for additional information and examples.

Am I allowed to have chickens on my property? 
The rules for keeping chickens in Riverton vary depending on the zoning of your property. You can find your Zoning here.

  • In the R-1 and RR-22 zones chickens are classified as farm animals and may be kept according to the rules of those zones.
  • In the R-2, R-3, and R-4 Zones you may keep up to six chickens, but no roosters.
  • In Special Development Districts (Monarch Meadows, Western Springs, and Canyon View Park, etc.) if your lot is at least 10,000 square feet you may keep up to six chickens, but no roosters.

What are Riverton City’s driveway requirements? 
For single-family homes, drive approaches must be at least 18 feet wide and can be up to 40% of the lot frontage, as measured at the property line. A second driveway may be allowed, if the primary driveway does not exceed 35 feet and the second driveway is more than 25 feet from the main driveway. A Right-of-Way Encroachment Permit is required when you construct or enlarge a drive approach.

How do I determine where my property boundaries are? 
In residential subdivisions property boundaries are typically marked by the developer during construction. Rear yard property corners are typically marked with rebar, while front property corners are marked by plugs or pins set at offsets in the curb along the street. Unfortunately, property markers are frequently removed or buried as homes are built and owners install fences and landscaping. Only a professional land surveyor can mark property corners. While Riverton City staff can provide information on the size and dimension of properties within the city, we do not provide surveying services.

How do I  divide my lot / move my lot line / change zoning on my property? 
Riverton City staff are available to help answer your questions regarding property, zoning, and other issues, and can help with application processing and other development related questions.

Am I allowed to rent my basement?
This subject comes up frequently and generates much discussion. It is important to note that cities are subject to state and federal laws and are impacted by court decisions. Riverton City must periodically adjust its ordinances to stay in compliance with these laws.

Presently, any living area in a house, including the basement, may be rented if it meets Riverton’s definition for a single-family dwelling. The definition of a single-family dwelling means “a building arranged or designed to be occupied by one family, the structure having only one dwelling unit.”  

This means all the space inside your house must maintain connectivity as if it were one dwelling. For example, a basement living space can have an outside entrance, but it must also maintain connection to the rest of the living space, so the outside entrance is not the only path of ingress. It also means there is only one address, and one set of utility connections for the entire structure. 

Furthermore, Riverton City ordinance currently defines a family as one person living alone, or four or more persons related by blood, or related by marriage or adoption, according to the laws of the state of Utah; or a group not to exceed four unrelated persons living together as a single housekeeping unit.